TECHNET Archives

May 2001

From:
"<Peter George Duncan>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 08:16:53 +0800

At a seminar I recently attended, where the speaker was one Horatio

Quinones (designer of the Power PC CBGA), it was stated that small internal

voids in BGA solder joints are a good thing up to a point, as they render

the joint more flexible under thermal cycling and/or vibration conditions.

The voids must not break out, though. Horation said that even if the voids

rise to the top of the ball and 'desolder' an area between the solder ball

and the Nickel layer, this, too, is OK if there is no break-out.

This struck me as comparable (for  all you nature lovers) with hollow

trees. In high winds, hollow trees survive better than trees with solid

trunks. Why? The hollow trees are more flexible than those with solid

cores, so bend more with the wind. Solid trees can't bend so well and are

more prone to being blown over.

Pete Duncan

                    sahmad

                    <sahmad@MICRO        To:     [log in to unmask]

                    N.COM>               cc:     (bcc: DUNCAN Peter/Asst Prin Engr/ST Aero/ST Group)

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [TN] Antw: [TN] voids in BGA

                    TechNet

                    05/26/01

                    06:22 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "TechNet

                    E-Mail

                    Forum.";

                    Please

                    respond to

                    sahmad

process can be optimized to minimize or eliminate voids.

Syed