TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:37:23 -0600
Hi Scott - Rockwell Collins has investigated immersion gold/nickel, OSP,
immersion tin and immersion silver as alternative solderable finishes. The
details of the testing can be found in the following papers:

" A Comparison of Immersion Gold/Electroless Nickel, HASL, and OSP Surface
Finishes for A Chip Scale Packaging Assembly Application", IPC National
Conference: A Summit on Surface Finishes and PWB Solderability,
Proceedings, September 1999.

"An Investigation of the Effects of Printed Wiring Board Surface Finish and
Conformal Coating for BGA Assembly", IPC APEX Conference, Proceedings,
March 2000.

We have begun successfully using each of the various coatings for a number
of programs. Each alternative finish has both positive's and negative's
depending on your soldering process, type of assembly, and use environment.
Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

"Lefebvre, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>@IPC.ORG> on 11/03/2000 05:45:24
PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
      to "Lefebvre, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  TechNet <[log in to unmask]>