From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 09 Jun 95 12:49:00 EST

 ----------
From: Crawford, John A.
To: TechNet-request
Subject: RE: Pink Poly Bags/Shipping PCB Assy's
Date:  9 Jun 95 9:39AM

Following from the EMPF HelpLine. This subject goes back about ten years to
when Richmond Corp originally introduced the "pink poly antistat" material.
(Who remembers Dan Anderson, the magician/salesman that made training tapes
for ESD awareness in the early days? His jokes would never get by EEO now!)
 Anyway, the first generations of of the pink poly material had some really
bad problems with contamination of items put in them. Any bare board or
components had to be cleaned after removal from the bags or they wouldn't
wet when soldered and I believe there were some pretty bad corrosion
problems, also.. The mfg processes for the pink poly were refined, and I
thought contamination problems were pretty will corrected. The military got
in the act and wanted some flame retardent in the plastic also, and there
were a few years that it had to have a "smokey" look to it as a visual
identifier. It is possible that (1) you have gotten some really old bags (2)
some converter got a hold of some old  material (probably cut rate and gave
you a great price on antistat bags) (3) something glitched in the mfg of the
bags you are trying to use (4) some environmental thing ((sitting in the
rail car in Yuma for two days at 250 degrees) caused the poly to break down
and sluff off the antistat chemicals. There IS good material available on
the market today--it's more widely used for cushioning bubble pack that
actual electronic material contact though. Pink poly is only anti-static in
that it does not favor generation of charge through triboelectric effect. It
has fairly poor bleed off characteristics, and provides NO shielding. That
is why metalized mylar/poly bags are so widely used for actual
storage/handling of sensitive boards, and the pink poly material is used as
over-wrap and cushioning material. If you are interested in determining what
the actual contamination is, we can put it through our lab and find out, but
I think you already know where it is coming from. Besides myself, we have
several other folks here who have been long-time members of EOS/ESD
Association and would be glad to discuss further. You can contact us
directly at [log in to unmask] or phone to 317.226.5616.
Jack Crawford