Date:
Wed, 07 Jun 95 17:42:06 PST

     We just began a project requiring insertion of Harting brand
     connectors into boards with OPC over bare copper.
     pitfall 1: board thru-holes (drill) were too small and some pins did
     not seat. Insertion force was 2X the expected level
     pitfall 2: boards with enlarged thru-holes, but barrel copper plating
     thickness was less than specified by Harting. Some barrels were torn
     by the inserted pin, and nodules of copper were stuck to the pin tip.
     pitfall 3: to reduce the possibility of barrel damage, we are
     lubricating pins before insertion with socket lubricant. Lubricant
     reduced the pullout force very slightly, but not a problem. Very low
     occurrence of barrel damage.
     In the future, we plan to use thicker barrel plating. Hopefully this
     will prevent the barrel tearing without greatly increasing the
     press-in force.
     Harting said they had little experience with non-tinned boards.
     They've been helpful.

     Allen Ahlert
     Hitachi Computer Products