TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Scott Westheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:52:43 +0800
I was wondering if I could get some inputs from some of you more experienced with this type of requirement. We have a customer asking for immersion gold on pads and electroplated gold on fingers. During our review process for processing several ideas as to how to process came up and I would like to get some of your comments and experiences has to the process suggestions and recommendations.

Process #1: First Tape ENIG area and electroplate fingers. second, tape fingers and plate ENIG. Lots of handing and evaluation of tape to use required.

Process #2: First Plate complete panels with ENIG. Second tape panel except for fingers and plate electroplated gold over the top.
Possible bake suggested to improve adhesion of electroplate gold to immersion gold.

Is their anyone out there currently doing this process?
What is the adhesion of electroplated gold to immersion?
What would baking accomplish and harm?

Thanks in advance.

Scott