TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
"<Joe Malley>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:18:45 -0400
Joe G Malley@MACDERMID
07/06/99 10:18 AM
Francis,

The comments made by Mssrs. Mok, Milad, and Holtzman in response to your
inquiry all contain some valid points and should be investigated in order
to check for possible improvements to your process.  You did not specify if
you are panel plating or pattern plating.  This is important as you may be
able to improve the design of your plating cell to achieve good uniformity
on panel plating, but these same improvements may not be enough for pattern
plating if you have some tough circuit designs (both areas of ground plane
and isolated traces).

I can make some specific suggestions for you if you could let me know:

-  Are you pattern plating or panel plating?
-  If pattern plating are you seeing differences from one design to the
next or panel to panel on the same design?
-  What current density are you using?
-  What are the chemical concentrations of the bath (Cu, H2SO4, Cl)
-  What is the anode to cathode spacing?
-  What type of racks do you use?  Top contacts?  picture frame?  center
only with two panels going off to each side?

A few suggestions in advance:

-  Make sure that the anodes are a few inches shorter than the depth of the
cathode to minimize overplate on the bottom of the panel
-  Picture frame racks will give the best macrodistribution.
-  Check that the solution agitation is uniform
-  Be sure that the chemical constituents of the bath are at the proper
concentrations.

We can discuss all the particulars in more detail if you would call me.
Alternately I can call you if you give me your contact information.  I have
tried this route before with you regarding other questions you have posted
(reference my personal e-mails to you on 4/1, 4/2, 6/7, 6/8/99) but you
have never responded to my e-mails.

This is most frustrating to me Francis as customer service is an important
priority to us at MacDermid and you are not taking advantage of this free
service.  Please give me a call or respond by e-mail.  We have much
experience with this system and I am sure we can help you to optimize your
process.

Best Regards,

Joe Malley
Research Project Manager
MacDermid Inc.
Phone: (203)  575-7921
Fax:     (203) 575-7916
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Francis Lai <[log in to unmask]> on 07/04/99 02:25:08 PM

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum." <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond
      to Francis Lai <[log in to unmask]>