From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:45:55 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded to TechNet for Assistance
Thanks
Dave Bergman, IPC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 13:36:48 +0100 (MET)
From: EDDIE VAN HOREN 014 57 20 08 <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SOIC'S IN WAVESOLDERING

David,
I'm looking for help somewhere in the industry on a serious soldering
problem.
Is there something like a bulletin board where items can be posted for
discussion?
Today's problem in a nutshell :

Subject : wavesoldering of SO-components (mainly SOIC).

Since a few years, Texas Instruments has changed the lead finish of the
SOIC's to a layer of nickel with a palladium flash (simplified).
This can result in 1000 ppm open solder joints when wave soldering.
In the very near future, starting next june, Motorola is also switching
to a simular leadfinish. All others are expected to follow soon.
In the farther future, useing other PCB finishes than SnPb ( NiAu,
preservated Cu etc.) will undoubtedly increase the problem.
I see this as a tremendous problem for those people who are
wavesoldering this kind of components.
Is there a way to find out whether this problem is recognized by users,
and if somebody sees a solution to the problem ?
And again, is there a way to put questions to the IPC community?

Best regards.
Eddie

Eddie Van Horen
Industrial Engineer