TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:36:24 -0500
Scott,
There a few versions of the gold plating. Hard gold requires the ENTIRE board be plated with gold. Some are reportedly capable of doing this selectively, but since the gold is used as an etch resist, it really is difficult.

The problem we encounter is we must remove the gold from all surface mount pads (not through hole) before soldering. A very time consuming process. I'm not familiar with the ENIG (or I just don't recognize it)
I'm not sure what palladium get you in the mix.
Gold is a great antioxidizing metal (what it is used for in this case) and has a long shelf life unlike entek and some other coatings. The nickel is for hardness. If you do use/change to this, ask the forum about the mix. There are some common ratios for nickel/gold. I personally don't have one that includes Pd.

Chris Robertson
Design Engineer
Lockheed-Martin Technology Services
4912 Research Dr.
Huntsville, AL 35805
(256) 722-2626

  I have a new board shop promoting their Electro-Plated Ni/Pd/Au (hard or soft gold) surface finish over our existing [ENIG] boards.  We have not had any issues with our current assemblies using [ENIG].  I am requesting any advice or information on Electro-Plated Ni/Pd/Au and if it would be worth switching to it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

  SCOTT

  Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315