TECHNET Archives

August 2003

From:
Howard Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:43:06 -0600
Hi everybody,

It appears that one of our component suppliers is converting it's SnPb
plating process to one that is lead free.  I'm not totally up to date on
the "lead free" topic, and I'd like to ask those who are familiar if there
is reason for concern from the following announcement excerpts from ON
Semiconductor:

"This is a General Announcement that ON Semiconductor is converting the

External Lead Finish/Plating to a Pb (lead) Free Finish/Plating process.

ON Semiconductor recognizes the increasing demand for environmentally

friendly products. ON Semiconductor will convert the existing
SnPb (Tin Lead) lead finish/plating to a Pb Free solution on a package by

package basis. This conversion will take place from June 2003 to March
2004,"

"All Products referenced by this PCN will use a Pure Matte Tin (Sn) lead
finish. 100% Matte Sn is the predominate Pb Free finish in the industry.
One of the benefits of using 100% Matte Sn, is it allows for "backward
compatibility" in the manufacturing process. . When a device is described
as "backward compatible", it refers to the ability for a manufacturer to
use their current SnPb Printed Circuit Board (PCB) solder and assembly
process.

" Based on customer feedback and the uncertainties within the electronics
 industry, ON Semiconductor is modifying its plans for the package by
packageconversion to Pb (Lead) Free plating that was announced under
Process
Change Notification (PCN) #12797 and the General Announcement (GA) #12770,
both
 located at www.onsemi.com."

Is it true that the use of 100% Matte Sn would be "backwards compatible",
and have no effect on soldering and reliability?  According to Jennie S.
Hwang, Modern Solder Technology for Competitive Electronics Manufacturing, a high tin content would provide better wettability, but would also
promote intermetallic compound formation and possibly lead to poor
solderability.  According to my supplier, other component manufacturers
are similarly removing SnPb from their lead plating. Any thoughts?  Thanks
for the feedback.

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer