TECHNET Archives

January 2003

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:50:25 -0500
From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Hi Virgil,

I'm curious to know why you feel that moisture is unlikely at this point.
Excessive moisture will typically cause similar cracks and delaminations
during reflow. A moisture-related problem is even more likely if you place
moisture-sensitive devices on the first side of the board and have a
significant delay prior to the second side reflow.

Do you know if these parts are classified as moisture-sensitive by the
manufacturer ? (i.e. do you receive them in sealed dry bags with desiccant
and a moisture sensitive label indicating the level of sensitivity ?). Keep
in mind that the maximum specified floor life must not be exceeded between
the time that the parts are first removed from their sealed dry bags until
the final reflow process. In addition, placing previously exposed components
in dry storage does not necessarily stop the clock of exposure time.

You could easily rule out the possibility of moisture induced defects by
baking your components for 48 hours at 125C prior to placing them on the
boards.

Good luck !
Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.