TECHNET Archives

September 2000

From:
"<Jacob Pao King Hing>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:10:00 +0800
Franklin,

I believe you may misunderstood my problem.

The solder in the via holes is actually residues from the HASL process. So,
during the IR reflow, it came out (via holes facing downward) & form solder
lump at the annular ring of the via holes. It's not total disaster but a
pain in the ass for assembly house.

As I see it, most of the affected via holes are those below 22 mil (hole
size). Is there any limitation for the air knife to totally clear off the
excessive solder?

My understanding from one of our customer's spec did indeed specify that
solder in via holes <22mil is allowed. Other than this spec, what's the
common practice by PCB maker or user.

Appreciate all your inputs.

Regards,

Jacob Pao