Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:06:51 -0500 (EST)
     Testing done at Circo Craft indicates excellent results of CEM3 product
when compared to FR4. This includes not only analysis of manufacturing
process compatability and product acceptability, but also reliability
testing and assessment. The material works well. It's only drawback is a
reduced flexural strength which will need attention when dealing with heavy
component loadings and/or V-groove or breakaway physical dimensions. As
noted in some of the attached postings, there may be differences in each
manufacturers' process and/or constructions which could explain varying
material characteristics.

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire

_________________________________

>Pat while in another life we used CEM-3 quite extensivly. The main
>problem we has was with Bow & Twist. The material moved around so much
>that we ended up switching to FR-4. The movement was around .001 per
>linear inch. What our vendors ended up doing was trying to predict the
>movement and adjust the drill, Rout & A/W to compensate. An after
>thought I have had recently was if we were to have been able to use an
>OSP on our boards in our production environment would that have made the
>material more stable. We did try an OSP but not for this reason and it
>failed in our application using "no clean" assembly techniques.
>
>Steve Collins
>PCB Design Supervisor
>TSX Corporation

Differences between CEM3 & FR4 on doublesided boards.

Close but no cigar. Expect more through hole plating & assembly problems with
CEM3 & more debris in plating tanks. Might be cost effective if yields are
acceptable to you.

Tom Waznis

____________________ Reply Separator (original question) _______________________