From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 96 08:20:09 cst

Hi!
In response:

" Is this still a valid test and are there other tests used to verify bareboard
solderability?"

* The test you describe is called the "use" test by many people. There is a wave
solder use test in JSTD-003 (PWBS) but no surface mount test as yet - something
for the IPC committees to think about. A use test is a valid test provided that
your PWB supplier and you have agreed on how the test is run and what the
acceptable requirements should/will be. As part of the current revision effort
on JSTD-002 (components) there is a "use" test for surface mount components. The
second draft of both 002 and 003 is hitting the streets right now and will be
discussed at the IPC Naples FL meeting.

 "Does the three, six or 12  months periods still apply if the boards are stored
properly?"

* Maybe, maybe not. A tremendous amount of effort has been put forth by the
electronics industry attempting to correlate a conditioning procedure with a
storage time. IPC-TR-464 and its Addendum summarizes a lot of the accelerated
aging work. Steam aging was thought to accelerate surface finishes to an aged
condition but additional IPC work has shown steam aging is applicable to tin and
tin/lead finishes with no "prediction" of storage time. How long can you store
your boards? What type of flux are you using, what is the soldering process, how
good is your storage conditions, how thick of solder coating is on the boards -
a number of other variables are part of the storage time question.

Should I find solderability problems, one corrective action is to return the
bareboards to the supplier for re-soldering and hope the extra thermal cycle
does not affect the board further.

*Sorry, but resoldering the boards will probably not solve a poor solderability
problem. An extra thermal pass with grow the intermetallic layer(s) and stress
the board. More active fluxes may provide you some help but there are risks
involved with those from a corrosion standpoint.

Good Luck

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins