From:
"John Gully" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:46:16 +600 CDT
Jeff,

Its been awhile since I last ran across this topic, but here it is.

Its not advisable to use SMT connectors, if the card your using
will be plugged and pulled continually (your guaranteed this with
Smart Cards) in the field or ran under severe thermal environments.
Its very, very likely the solder joints at the SMT connector will fracture.
The stresses encountered are too much for tin/lead joints.
If you choose to go that route, secure the connector via through hole
bolts at opposite ends of the connector or similar.

Of the two, I would go with the Straddle connector.  If designed
correctly the connector molding should mount flush to the Smart Card edge
providing additional structure, in turn minimizing solder joint
stress (push action)  The connector mounting (bolts) will provide
structure on the pull action.  There is a disadvantage to using the connector
in assembly, but I can't remember what it was.  Not that this helps you,
but if I remember I will forward the warning.

It also depends on what type of PCMCIA you will assemble, Type I, II
or III.  The smart card thickness and assembly types are all critical
to the product type.

John Gulley
Compuroute Inc.
Dallas, TX