From:
[log in to unmask] (Edward J Popielarski)
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:56:53 -0800
---- Begin Forwarded Message
 via SMTP (940816.SGI.8.6.9/940406.SGI)
	 id NAA16400; Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:31:20 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 13:14:10 EST
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tented vias???

Colleagues:

Our in house SMT assembly facility has asked that we tent our vias on
top and
bottom sides to aid in solder bridge reduction.  If bottom tenting is
not
possible becaues vias may double as test points, they ask that we still
tent
the top (component) side.  They use a no clean process.

I am concerned that contaminants will be trapped in vias tented only on
one
side and cause premature failure down the road.  Normal via size is
.012.
What are your thoughts on tented vias???  One side?  Both sides?  Not
tented
ever?  Why???  What other problems may we encounter?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

gary ...

Gary,

I was involved in a research project involving the long term effects of
no-clean fluxes with Dr. Carl Tautscher and we had discovered that
there were measurable amounts of eliphatic acid (sp?) found in the
remaining distillate of the autoclave used in the accelerated life
test. Although the test specimines had not exhibited severe effects,
the presence of the substance caused some concern, as the typical test
methods used in such proceedures actually volitalize the acid and
distribute it in the surrounding atmosphere.

If these things are true, then entrapment within the spaces you
describe could cause concern.

Carl is by far more qualified than I to discuss this with you, and he
is an Independent Engineering Consultant:

Carl J. Tautscher
P.O. Box 204
Lynnwood, Wa. 98012
Ph: (206) 776-5190
Fx: (206) 776-2274

Regards,

Edward J. Popielarski
QTA Machine
(714) 364-6614

  *
***
* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
  *
* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
  *