From:
Mike Matson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 96 09:39:00 PDT

Jim,
We had a similar problem  (with a different brand of dry film) many years
ago. After changing or tweaking most everything in sight, including dry
film, wet processes and dry processes, what we found was that  our  inline
rinse following (sodium carbonate) development  was incomplete, and the
developing action continued on the sidewalls of the resist after the panels
were through the machine and back in the racks.  The resist then "failed" on
the pattern plating line. We fixed the problem by adding a recirculating
sump containing a weak acid ( 1 or 2% acetic)  which acted as a stop bath
for the developer.  The process became develop - rinse - stop - rinse.
Thinking back, once we knew what kind of problem we had, we could even feel
the "slimy" nature of the caustic on the surface of the resist. Since then,
we have replaced our old  modular horizontal machine with a  vertical
machine  and the problem has not recurred. The new machine has neither a
heated rinse nor a stop bath, but we did have the manufacturer install
larger pumps in both the process chamber and the recirculating rinse
chamber.
Good Luck!

Mike Matson
Woodward Governor Company