TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Gaby Bogdan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:28:59 +0200
I did not measure it. But corner balls were oblong or not soldered (when
using only flux).
X-ray showed also not soldered balls (round, with circuit pad intact) among
elliptic ones which were soldered. Usually when I see an elliptic shape or
almost a cylindric shape I know that in that area the BGA is higher . When
between two such contacts I see a round one, I know that there is no
contact. I hope that with the Genrad  BGA print station we will overcome
this problem, if better profiling is not possible. We don't have spare
boards, each one is very expensive. And no time to play, delivery is
Yesterday. I also think that some of the BGA's beside of the ceramics have
non eutectic balls, Information is hard to get from the supplier. Also,
although Solder paste may induce voiding, I prefer to see acceptable voids-a
sign that the melting took place. With flux only  you never get voids
because the component balls don't have any, but you can't be sure if you
reflowed them or not unless they change shape.
Gaby