From:
"Lynch, Lyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 96 13:03:55

Here we go again. All polymers, including plastics used to encapsulate
electronics, as well as all conformal coatings, have well documented moisture
vapor transmission rates. So, it makes no practical difference if the body of
the device is coated, or not. Although your customer amy demand complete coating
of all surfaces on the board, if all exposed, conductive elements (leads and
traces) are properly coated you will see no performance differences between
boards with fully coated packages, and those with poorly coated packages.
If, on the other hand, you rely on the coating to "stake" the device to the
board, to reduce vibration induced stress, then the device should be clean and
coated.

By the way, if you are not dipping your boards in the conformal coating,
I can assure you that you have uncoated surfaces somewhere on your board.

The opinions stated herein are not necessarily those of my employer.

Lyn R. Lynch
602.276.7361