From:
Carlsson Per <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:06:00 +0100
Regarding Solderability of Au/Ni plate printed circuit boards

The solderability of Au/Ni plated boards depends on the properties of
two interfaces. The top gold layer and the interface between gold and
nickel. We have also found that copper is dark horse in this subject as
pointed out by Allen Hertz. It is not only copper in the nickel layer
that cause trouble the copper will also spread into the gold layer. We
published a paper at ISHEM Indian about this matter. We have observed
that the solderability correlate with the amount of copper in the gold
layer. For the moment we investigate this matter further and hopefully
we will have a open report available within a year.

Per Carlsson
IVF- The Swedish Institute of Production Engineering Research
Argongatan 30
S431 53 Molndal
SWEDEN
Tel Int+46 31 706 6142
Fax Int + 46 31 276130
email: [log in to unmask]
Kopia: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Angående: ReÄ3Å: solderability test for ENIG PCB finish
Datum: den 16 december 1996 17.46

     Hi Allen -

     Did you publish your investigation results anywhere? The copper
issue
     is something I hadn't thought of but it makes sense (it's something
     look for in the future). The solderability/E.nickel paper I
referenced

     did show that the Phosphorus content did make a difference - lower
     phos contents had better solderability than higher phos contents.
     Fang's conclusions agreed with one quoted reference(Feldstein) but
     disagreed with a second reference (Shinohara). It would be
interesting

     to compare your data with this published data to see what test
     difference's appear.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins
     ddhillmaÉcacd.rockwell.com