From:
[log in to unmask] (Edward J Popielarski)
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:45:12 -0800
---- Begin Forwarded Message
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:25:37 -0600
To: [log in to unmask]
From: [log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Subject: DES/ASSY: 2 pin shunt connector

Greetings, fellow Victor Johansen fans:

We have a new board design which is reaching proto build.

It seems that during the test procedure, it is necessary to short two
PTH
locations momentarily to cause the board to power up in a certain mode.

The designer has brought these two circuit nodes to adjacent 0.040" PTH
locations at normal 0.100" centers, and labelled the "part" J1.

We typically use a two pin header and a shunt for this sort of option
or
"strapping".

The board design is basically clean, having only a D-sub connector in
through-hole packaging.

I am resisting the population of this J1 connector, and asking our test
engineering people to come up with a more novel way of shorting the two
holes during test.

They seem to think the only way to do it is our old standby header pin,
but
personally I dislike having to hand stuff the things, and from a design
viewpoint, don't like them protruding up 0.300" off the top of the
board
waiting to rip holes in every ESD bag.

Was hoping someone could point me to some cute "clip" or "plug" which
could
be easily and temporarily plugged into a PTH for only a few seconds. It
would need to make reliable contact without being held manually in
position
(the test setup will have numerous boards under test in the fixture)
but
should be easily removable by the operator. We would not, of course,
ship
product with the plug, it should be re-useable here.

If anyone has a short, sweet answer please reply to this posting and
ignore
the one from Victor.

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA
http://www.iphase.com

p.s. if this turns out to be original, I have it all documented in my
notebook for patent sake.

Jerry,

I believe Augat and/or Autosplice makes a "carrierless socket" that is
pressed in prior to wave soldering that can make a dandy place to plug
a preformed solid wire jumper. They do not protrude very high off the
assy ( < .060") and the "jumper" is inexpensive as well. I have also
seen this technique used for "plug in resistors" (too bad the design
group didn't put the holes on .300" centers) where a "0 ohm" resistor
could be auto inserted as well.

Regards,

Ed Popielarski
QTA Machine
(714) 364-6614

  *
***
* If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact
  *
* Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]
  *