From:
"Todd Rogers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:00:18 -0600
I am the quality supervisor of a single and double sided printed circuit
board manufacturer.  Over the past several years our company has developed
a "reactive" quality data collection system.  Every time there was a
problem we would start to collect a new set of data.  This has brought
about a huge amount of information and hours of time crunching numbers.
The bottom line is that there is no organization to all the information.
This makes it difficult to analyze and see trends that would be associated
with a continuous improvement effort.  This problem may sound very
elementary and easy to fix, but when you are caught up in the system it is
difficult to see obvious solutions.  My question is, What types of data are
other companies in the manufacturing of PCB's collecting concerning:
 1) Rejects and defects, ( reworkable vs. scrap)
 2) Customer Return information  (lots,parts, panels, ppm, etc.)
 3) Discrepancies ( to a department, process, reject type)
 4) Other information that may be necessary to develop improvement
planning.

Currently we have more data than is needed.  What is the minimum amount of
data for the maximum amount of effectiveness?  What I am looking to do is
annihilate the current system and only implement those measurements that
are needed to get an overview of how well the company is doing,
improvements that need to be made and if corrective action has been
effective.  I am also interested in the measurement unit.  A list of those
measurements, charts and associated formulas would help greatly and any
other information that companies are tracking would help get my perspective
back on-line.  I would appreciate any comments to this situation and
apologize for the lack of complexity of this particular situation.
Thank You!!!

Todd Rogers