TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:25:44 EDT
Greetings all

This string has reaffirmed the need to convert all of the electronic
industry's measurement systems to metric. The use of weight to define thickness is a
real mind bender to anyone outside the PCB manufacturing arena. There is way
too much opportunity for confusion and error for a global business to survive
without costly mistakes. (Remember the disastrous Mars mission of a few years
back?)

The metrication of the inch by making the decimal inch laid the foundation of
the mess we are in (at least in my opinion). Fortunately common sense (and
economic necessity) is slowing coming to bare on the problem. For example, JEDEC
will no longer register inch measurement based packaging.

The US actually signed on to employ and metric conventions in the 19th
century, we just continue to move toward full use of the metric system inch by inch
... ;-)

The metric system is so incredibly logical and simple. For us in the US to
continue to pay homage to a linear measurement system based on the lengths of
various body parts of long dead English kings is beyond reason.

Saying it will be too difficult is no defense. It is time to move out of the
past. It will happen when we decide to make it so.

Just some thoughts...

Kind regards to all,
Joe

PS.100 micoinches is 2.54 microns, 1 mil is 25.4 microns, 1 inch is 25400
microns or 25.4mm