TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
pratap singh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:18:25 -0600
Jorge,

Solder balls at Wave Solder are caused by:

    * Moisture in PCB laminate
    * Poor /Porous copper plating in PTH

When PCB hits wave solder, rise in temperature causes the moisture to
blow off as steam  coming through the PTH copper plating voids. If you
cross section the PTH that shows indication of solder balls, you can
verify the presence of plating voids. You may also cross section as
received PCB to establish PTH quality.

Assembly process changes will have minimal affect on solder balls. Your
PCB supplier has to provide void free copper in PTH to eliminate solder
balls at wave solder.

If it is a few holes per board, you may use Water Soluble Tape to mask
the PTH.. The tape will be cleaned off during warm water rinse section
of cleaning process.

You can contact me off line for use of water soluble tape and technical
requirements for the process if you so wish.

--
pratap singh