Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 96 21:37:50 -0800
X-outs (83 lines)
     Hello,

     There are a couple of ways to look at x-outs. I have seen one application
     where  the impact on yield is calculated by using the binomial probability
     distribution. You know the single-image yield and the number of boards in
     the array. From statistics, you can then calculate the overall yield as a
     function of maximum x-outs allowed.

     I think this way considerably overstates the yield impact. For example,
     allowing a few x-outs max on a 20-image array where the single-image yield
     is 90% would drop the overall yield to a very low number using binomial
     probability distribution. It is unlikely that would really happen.

     At the other extreme, the 20-image array could be treated as one large
     board. How many board fabricators figure in the size of the board when
     determining yields for pricing?

     These are the two extremes; reality is somewhere in between. What's
     reasonable depends on the difficulty and volume of the board. For an array
     of 20 images, 5% is only one image, which may be a bit restrictive for the
     fabricator. I personally think the greater of 20% or 1 image is reasonable
     unless there are circumstances that require more restrictive
     specifications. As an additional spec, we sometimes specify the max percent
     of the arrays in a shipment that can have any x-outs. For example, on an
     array with five images, we might allow one x-out on 20% of the arrays in a
     shipment (the remainder would have to be 100% good). This is usually the
     spec we give our fabricators and I have not seen price increases because of
     it.

     Regards,

     Denis Mori, Materials Engineer
     Hewlett-Packard Company