TECHNET Archives

October 2020

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2020 16:18:57 +0000
Yes! Thanks for your post Raye. I actually used it to measure microminiature MEMS gyroscopes. We had damage occurring somewhere in the process. We measured the strain from these gauges connected to a datalogger, from the manufacture of the MEMS, through the delivery truck and plane flight, through our receiving department and through our entire build process at one of the client companies I work for. Guess what was damaging the MEMS? The inline cleaning process! Nothing else even showed up on the data, except for the cleaning process. It turns out the cavitation from the wash spray, coupled with (normal) vibration through the conveyor really shocked the heck out of these parts. So we switched to a manual wash process using (believe it or not!) an ultrasonic cleaning tank followed by a gently manual rinse in DI water and complete blowoff. The sweep frequencies in the US cleaner allowed for excellent cleaning without the cavitation known to destroy internal wirebonding, or in this case, the microminiature spinning gyros. Very counterintuitive, but it worked extremely well. Those MEMS gyros are working extremely well and have been for about 15 years or so.

Odin