From:
"Jeff Seeger" <simon.ipc.org!bort.mv.net!rapidcad!jseeger>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 96 02:28:23 EDT

	Speaking entirely empirically, we've designed many PWB's w/BGA
	components.  The parts have ranged from ~80 to >500 pins.  Most
	of the applications have been in high-value/low-qty products, per-
	haps 100's/yr.

	As it has happened, 99% of those applications were in realms al-
	ready reflow-over-wave with vias plugged-and-tented.  I have had
	some visibility into the post-assembly scenes and have not been
	made aware of unintended reflowing or any reliability problems.

	(Of course, some of these were designed with soldermask-defined
	pads, and I haven't heard of problems associated with that, either ;)

	There was one product destined for much higher production, with
	the same setup, but the project got dropped at pre-production
	stage.  I don't think the costs associated with the plugging
	were a factor.

	In many of these cases there were in-circuit test requirements.
	Faced with an already cleanly encapsulated PWB in the BGA areas,
	we elected to add testpoints under the BGAs as non-drilled.

	One recent product was set up for reflow/reflow, don't know the
	results yet.  Offhand I'm not sure why a BGA would present any
	different accidental-reflow profile than any other part; large
	QFP's have just as many vias packed almost as tightly together
	and I think they have lower solder volumes as well.

	Hope I've helped,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
        Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649 9800