From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:51:39 -0500
Last lot we lost for innerconnect defects was built in Dec 1994.  GFG
material, 170-180 Tg.  Name of the Shop available upon request.  Defect
not caught until assembly final test (Temperature and Vibration).  Opens
and high resistance.  Very costly assemblies scrapped out.  Not using
that shop much anymore.  (One "Oh-crap" cancels out 1000 "Atta-boys".)

The coupons had been thermally floated, and the cracks were not visible
in the cross sections delivered with the order because the cracks were
lost in the etched e'less line.  The cracks WERE in the cross sections
delivered by the supplier, as additional grinding to the next set of
holes proved.

Root cause was supplier Innerconnect failures.  Why the supplier had
them was never determined, however all shops will have these defects
from time to time.  Need to identify supplier who know how to spot the
defect.

Foster Gray of TI-Austin Tx, tells me there may be a nondestructive
method of catching the defect at the fab shop.  Foster leads an IPC
sub-group on the problem.

Have not seen the problem since 1994.  On the other hand, it is our job
to buy boards from shops who know how to catch this defect, at least.

George

--

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems