TECHNET Archives

June 1997

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
TechNet:

We have been experiencing problems etching double-treat copper. Specifically,
we have been leaving a fairly large foot at the base of the circuit. In
addition to the obvious problems, this makes AOI very difficult due to the
difference in reflective properties of the treated copper vs. bare copper at
foot.

If the speed is slowed enough to remove the foot, we generally over-etch the
circuits.

We use an ammoniacal etch and have also tried dipping the layers in a 10% HCl
solution to break down the surface treatment prior to etch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

John Lennox
Process Engineer