TECHNET Archives

February 2001

Condense Mail Headers

From:
Timothy Cousins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:04:54 GMT
I have a situation where there has been a small fire in a data center.
There was no water involved in quenching the fire.
The equipment manufacturers are considering walking away from their
maintenance agreement citing contamination levels in excess of 1.56 ug/cm2
based on ANSI J-STD-001 rev. B
They have provided an ionograph reading of 3.6ug/cm2 of NaCL equivalent on
a circuit board as evidence and various swabs of exterior surfaces on
equipment cases - most in excess of this standard.
We have used IPC-TM-650  2.3.28 - Ionic analysis of circuit boards, ion
chromotography method readings and recorded:
        Uninvolved Circuit board:       0.25 Chloride ug/cm2
        Involved Circuit Board:         0.28 Chloride ug/ cm2
The J-STD is a post solder cleanliness standard. It is being used
inappropriately as a benchmark in situations it was never designed for and
for a methodology that has an ionic extraction yield greatly more
efficient than the methodology cited in the standard.
q1)  Can anyone provide me with references to reliabilty studies of
electronic equipment contaminated by fire combustion products.
q2) Any thoughts and insights into the appropriate/inappropriate use of
the J-STD under these circumstances.
q3) Why am I finding such a great discrepancy in the reported results.
Timothy Cousins