From:
Larry Waksman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:06:24 -0800
TIMOTHY C CABLES wrote:

> We are looking for a UL recognized Conformal Coating that

> also:

> is a single liquid,

> comes in areosol cans,

> is repairable,

> is a urethane or as easy to work with,

> any suggestions?

> Also:

> How do you measure the thickness of the coating to

> ensure UL compliance?

> Tom Tillander

> c\o Timothy C. Cables

> North American Mfg. Co.

> 4455 E.71ST.

> Cleveland, OH 44105

> 216-271-6000 E. 422

Tim,

Loctite Shadowcure 394 meets some of your requirements.

It is UL 746C, Bellcore TR-NWT-000078, and MIL-I-46058C approved.

It is a Type UR/AR (Urethane/Acrylic hybrid) coating.

It is a 2-part system, but has an 8 hour pot life and can be sprayed
either by air gun or by commercially available aerosol kit.
394 can be cured by UV light as well as by its catalytic mechanism.

Concerning repairability, you can use either microabrasive or chemical
methods to remove 394.  Methylene chloride based solvents are about the
only things that will swell it and allow you easy removal.  Once
repaired, you can brush coating onto the exposed area and again, either
UV cure or allow the catalytic mechanism to work.

Also, bear in mind that a true aerosol based coating will likely be
solvent based.  This leads to the usual concerns with VOC's.  Also, if
it is initially soluble in solvent, it likely will not be too resistant
to other solvents.