From:
"Aric Parr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
23 Oct 96 07:50:30 -0500

     If you get dewetting from plastic components, then they are dirty, or
     you are using the wrong coating.

     This can pose a reliability issue. An extreme example is a fin pitch J
     lead. If the coating dewets the body, are the leads covered adjacent
     to the body. Will the dewetting prohibit coverage of the solder joint
     under the component body?

     I have tested and qualified coatings. This was found on some, but not
     all coatings, and usually upon one specific part or supplier. I
     disqualified all coatings that exhibited this problem from the matrix,
     and implemented a coating that does not dewet from them.

     It is acceptable to leave plastic bodies uncoated using masking or a
     Nordson, since plastic is generally inert relative to tin/lead, but
     don't allow dewetted coating. It can result in catastrophic failure.

     Aric Parr