TECHNET Archives

March 1997

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:14:16 PST
From:
[log in to unmask] (Dave Willhard)
From [log in to unmask] Mon Mar 17 16:
03:26 1997
Technet,

We use an X-ray flourescence scope to measure solder
thickness and composition. Recently, we sent samples
to a university to have the composition measured by
Edacs (I probably spelled that wrong). In case I
spelled that wrong and you don't know what I mean -
Edacs composition measurements are a by-product of
scanning electron microscopes. Anyway, the tin-lead
percentages we got from Edacs were way different from
the results we got on our X-ray. I'm thinking this
might be because the Edacs measures an extremely small
surface area whereas the X-ray measures a 5 to 10 mil
diameter circle.

Does anyone have any experience with SEM and/or Edacs
in relation to solder composition? We would appreciate
any info to confirm my theory or refute.

Thanks,
Dave Hall