From:
"Luis Rivera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:17:13 +600 CDT

John, many thanks for the plug. Your comments regarding flying head
versus bed of nails electrical testing are accurate.

The main advantages of flying head testing are its ability to test
very fine pitch geometries without probes interfering wit each other,
and the fact that no fixture is needed to test the boards. It works
well for low volume high technology testing.

Indeed flying head testing is slower than using fixtures with needle
probes. Depending on the number of nets and the total number of
points, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to test a
single board. To overcome this on large and/or complex lots, we
identify a known good board with the flying head system, and then
test the remainder on a bed of nails tester, by self-learning the
golden board, and comparing the rest to the netlist the fixture based
tester learned from the golden board.

Another area of concern is that of potential damage to small size
pads, the force exerted by the moving probes when contacting small
features can produce undesirable "scratch marks" if not set up
properly.

It is worth mentioning that moving probe data preparation works based
on extracting a netlist from Gerber data, and that it includes a
method called adjacency, in which only nets that are physically close
to each other are checked for isolation. Verification for opens can
be set up to either test end-points only or to include intermediary
points only, the former takes less time, the latter takes longer.

At CompuRoute, we compare the Gerber extracted netlist to the CAD
design netlist prior to testing, to ensure that it is correct and not
corrupted.

Like John mentioned, there is a lot more. Anyone interested in more
information is welcome to contact me directly.

Luis Rivera
CompuRoute,Inc.
Dallas, TX
(214) 340-0543