TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
"Croslin, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:27:49 -0400
Siggi,
In a previous life, in the early eighties, I worked for a company where we
did very high volumes of CEM1 work.  It's advantage, besides cost, was that
it lent itself well to "punch & crunch" where we used dies to cut the board
profiles.  It was very easy on the tools where FR series was highly
abrasive.  We built high volume single sided GFCI and smoke detector
products using both SMT and through hole parts.  We automatically
in/onserted and then wave soldered using custom pallets and had very high
yields using Universal, Panasonic, and Electrovert equipment.  We bought our
boards from Tingstol up in Chicago.  I searched and they're still around, so
you might contact them at http://www.tingstol.com/home.htm
<http://www.tingstol.com/home.htm>  to see if they still offer those
materials. SMT was certainly fun in those days as there was almost no one
using it so everything you did was a learning experience.

Here at Nielsen, we buy and dissect dozens of VCR's and set top boxes to
figure out how to meter them and I often see what appears to be CEM1 used
for these boards so it's still around, or some variant of it.  I seem to
remember it also being called PC75, so you may have more success with that
name.

Bob Croslin, Nielsen Media Research