TECHNET Archives

February 2000

From:
Clayton Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clayton Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:24:40 +1100
Technet,

I have recently read in an article that the most favourable type of solder joint is formed from rapid cooling of the solder.

I am a bit confused with this as I have always been under the impression that rapid cooling of metals results in tight compact grain structures (very hard, but brittle). This is in contrast to slow cooling that forms long grain structures resulting in a stronger and tougher material (which I would have thought is what would be ideal for a solder joint - good shock resistance).

Regards....

Clayton Gardner
Engineering Manager

A.E.M.S