TECHNET Archives

November 2002

From:
Howard Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:47:29 -0500
Dear TechNet subscribers,

I am curious about the level of productivity of your SMT lines,
particularly for those in a high mix environment.  We are getting pressure
to reduce changeover and cycle times, as I am sure most of you are too,
and I am curious as to what level of effectivity (hours available in the
day do you actually build product) that you are at.  Would 80% be
reasonable?  Also, how efficient are you at building your product to
standards, for those who track efficiency?

As far as changing over from one job to the next, what are your average
times?  It was suggested to me by management that the goal for changeover
should be 1 minute or less.  I am a reasonable person, and I believe that
single digit (SMED) changeovers, like 8 or 9 minutes might be reasonable,
but 1 minute is a stretch that I can't see happening, even when using
docking carts for the feeders.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer