TECHNET Archives

May 1999

Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 16:44:06 -0400
Hi Werner,

Thanks for the interesting story.  So, if silver forms brittle IMC with tin at
about 3%, why do people use (and pay for) Sn62/Pb36/Ag2, Sn96/Ag4 and even
Sn95/Ag5?  Are all these silver-bearing alloys inherently brittle?

Is there any hard evidence that the failure mode in this particular TI case back
in 1982 was related to Sn/Ag IMC and not to something else -- say for instance
-- electroplating defect?

Eric Yakobson
Alpha PC Fab

[log in to unmask] on 05/05/99 03:01:20 PM