From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:05:14 -0500
P. G. Wilson wrote:

> Is it true that rectifiers generate a constant minimum AC voltage (rms)
> that causes variable ripple depending on actual or overall voltage?  In
> explanation, is ripple defined by the minimum AC voltage over the rated
> output voltage only?

> Could the group enlighten me on the subject of minimizing ripple and how
> it affects plating?  There's been much discussion about copper plating,
> and I would appreciate some information on this topic.
> Chemist, IUP, CU
> P.G. Wilson

I am reluctantly answering this post since I have no
plating experience.

Several things have been stated in this question that
I think need clearification.  Yes, rectifiers that
transform AC to DC have ripple.  In a power supply,
commonly called an unregulated power supply, the ripple
is determined by the filter cap and any load resistance
as seen from the DC output of the power supply.

A simple unregulated power supply could be just a transformer,
full bridge rectifier, output filter cap, and the resistive
load.  In this setup, the ripple is ONLY determined by
the combination of the load and the cap.

Now I don't know how technical you want to get,
but here's something to think on:

Let's call the min/max value of just the output
ripple the peak-to-peak ripple = Vripplw(p/p).
This is NOT measured with hand held meter.  This
is measured with an oscilliscope.  It assumes the
min value is zero volts - the datum if you will.
The max value is measured up from the min by
however many volts it is.  It is a "RELATIVE"
measurement to start getting technical.

Now, let's do an "ABSOLUTE" measurement on the output.
We want to measure the peak output voltage from REAL
zero volts also with an O-scope.  We will call this
measurement = Vpeak.  We'll also call the output
cap = Cout, and the output resistor (load) = Rout.
We also have to know the frequency of rectification,
i.e. fulwave is 120 Hz, half wave is 60Hz, etc...
We'll call this f.

Theoretically,   Vripple(p/p) = Vpeak/[R*C*f]

For full wave rectification (120 Hz),

Vripple120(p/p) = Vpeak/[R*C*f]

The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
and do not reflect those of my employer.