TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
"Stephen S. Schiera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:15:53 -0600
You can stencil the glue as an alternative to dispensing.  Several adhesive
mfg's make stencil capable adhesives for smt.  We use a 6mil stencil with
apertures sized to the component types.  The reflow oven is used to cure the
glue, following mfg's recommendations.

The advantages are:
1. No need for additional equipment, i.e. dispenser.
2. Faster cycle times for adhesive application with stencil vs. dispense
3. No need for special pallets at wavesolder

The draw backs are:
1. Missing glue, leading to missing component.  The apertures are typically
small and can become clogged with the thick adhesive, resulting in a skip.
2. Misaligned components.  Glue, unlike solder paste, is unforgiving.
3. Handling damage.  The boards must be handled with extra care not to knock
parts off.
4. Soldering issues with bottom side SMT components.  This type of design
narrows the process window.

If the design is done correctly you can use double sided reflow and then use
a selective solder pallet for the through hole components.

The advantages to this method are:
1. Use of known processes.
2. Reduction of handling and wavesolder related defects.

The disadvantages are:
1. Restraints on the PCB design
2. Need for special pallets

Regards,