TECHNET Archives

July 2000

From:
Sue Hedrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Hedrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:51:19 -0400
My company is qualifying an adhesive film to be used in bonding a PC board to a metal plate. As the film is silicon based, our customer is worried about outgassing. The adhesive vendor has agreed to have tests run (at no cost to us), but we need to supply the requirements.

By the way, this is not a space application. The equipment that this bonded board will be used in needs to operate from -40C to +85C.

My questions are:

1. Under what conditions is outgassing a concern?

2. Is condensation and leaching a concern at lower temperatures?

3. Are there any flammable vapors that we need to be concerned about? Or any environmental or health hazards, either during assembly or during operation?

4. In addition to corrosive effects, are there any concerns about degradation of the electrical characteristics due to contamination of the boards?

5.  What specific compounds cause these problems?

6. Is there an industry standard for spec limits under these conditions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue Hedrick