From:
[log in to unmask] ( Kevin Seaman )
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 96 11:53:51 PDT
Dee Stover wrote:

> I need some information on how Orcad layout tools compare to pcad v8.5
> and/or Accel EDA V12 (pcad-tango).  In the attempt to get everyone
> using the same EDA tools I may have to move over to orcad but would
> like to be informed on if it is a decent tool or not.  Any information
> would be appreciated.

I am forwarding the following (from Bob Mifflin):

All of the following is my opinion only based on using the various
products or interfacing with others that use the products (over the last
10 years).

Pcad has always been a huge disappointment - have used the old package
and heard complaints about the new. Take a quick tour of latest software
but I strongly do not recommend it.

Tango (which now owns PCAD software?? ) has come a long way in a short
time but is still not at the high end. A short tour of the product is
recommended.

I do not recommend Orcad based on my experiance with the company track
record on new releases. The new stuff may be acceptable in about 6 to 9
months. Tour this one in detail (and gen a small board) in conjunction
with the capture tool. (We know capture has bugs, and the new capture
(7.0) has new and different bugs.

Pads Perform 2000 is not mentioned but is the most used package out there
for Southern Calif., Tour this one in detail also. Highly recommended.