From:
Bill Dieffenbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:33:28 -0500
We have been starting to have solderability problems with some electroless
nickel plated pwbs.  Nickel has always been a challenge to solder... but we
have been successful until recently by simply doing a pumice scrub prior to
solder stenciling, and by minimizing the time through assembly and into reflow.

There have been a large number of Technet communications on Electroless Ni
and Immersion Au over the last few weeks.  We are tying to learn from those
who are having similar problems.

A few topics which were not fully addressed and would be of great value are:

1. Does anyone know of a good test coupon or test method which can be used
to evaluate pwb surface solderability?

2. What role does surface finish play in solderability and will a rough
plated Ni finish have more solderability problems than a smoother finish?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Dieffenbacher,  Lockheed Martin Control Systems
[log in to unmask]  Phone 607-770-2961  Fax 2056