From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 03 Jun 96 10:13:47 cst
     Hi Steve:

     Here are my replies to your questions:

     1.  What would be considered a significant variation in the
     cleanliness level?
     a.  What variation should I see board to board of the same part number
     coming off the same process?
     b.  What variation should I see board to board of different part
     numbers, but using similar parameters in the soldering process ?
     c.  Has anybody studied their flux and soldering parameters to
     determine when they see large increases in residues due to adverse
     affects on the cleanibility of the flux caused by excessive heat and
     dwell ???

     The significant variation in cleanliness level will become evident as
     part of your statistical analysis. Have you done or do you have access
     to a statistical terrorist, for the setting up of a design of
     experiment (DOE). The use of a balanced DOE with controllable factors
     will tell a great deal about your process. You will need to "fix" some
     of the process variables - not necessarily lock up the process
     variables you are not investigating at one level but understand how
     these "other" process variables change while you conduct your DOE.
     Things such as cleaning system load, type of pwb materials that are
     being processed, operator induced changes, etc., need to be
     understood. You may want to break up your process variables of
     interest into smaller chunks and do sequential DOEs to keep your
     sample sizes small.

     2.  What test methodologies would be best used to determine
     cleanliness level for this effort?

     A DOE is only as good as the response measure used. Many of the
     studies I am familiar with have used the Omegameter, SIR coupons,
     HPLC, spectrophotometry, or some combination of these tests. I would
     recommend using the Omegameter to get an understanding of how your DOE
     results relate to an every day process control check, and HPLC to get
     a very detailed view of what chemicals are not being removed in the
     cleaning cycle. The combination of the science and the practical
     should give you a good idea of which set of process parameters give
     you the best cleaning. It will also give your statistical terrorist
     variables data to analyze and cut down the number of samples you need
     to process.

     3.   Has anyone done a gage R & R on their test methods?

        The gauge R&R on HPLC is very good and the same can probably be said
for most analytical tests but I don't know if the Omegameter falls into that
category (I suspect not).

The IPC specification PC-90 on SPC has some good information on DOE
methodology. Also email Doug Pauls at CSL ([log in to unmask]) for a lively
discussion on possible test methods.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins