Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:02:32 +0400 (EDT)
Steve, it sounds like you will try to do an ambitious designed
experiment.  Are you acquainted with experimental design techniques, or
do you have access to someone with such experience?  A few weeks ago I
did a small designed experiment to test methods or cleaning unpopulated
circuit boards.

Here are my comments on your questions.

1.  Significant differences, if any, should show up in the statistical
analysis of your designed experiment  data.

2.  I used an Alphametals Omegameter 600R.  An isopropyl alcohol solution
flows around the board and the resistivity of the solution monitored.
People tell me a heated alcohol ionograph is better.

3.  Gauge R & R (repeatability and reproducibility) is a good question.
Even if you could put a known amount of contaminant on a board, in
measuring it you would destroy (clean) the sample.  For our Omegameter, I
would think of doing a so-called "chemical verification" of its
performance by adding a fixed quanitity of standard salt solution
multiple times and using the data for R & R analysis.  Of course, that
would not be the same thing as using real PC boards.

For your information, one piece of information that came out of the
experiment here was that there were big differences in cleanliness or
ability to be cleaned between dry film solder resist and liquid
photoimageable solder resist.

Contact me if you want more information.

Lou Hart 412-858-6117

.