TECHNET Archives

November 2006

From:
Steven Hoffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:14:49 -0800
All,

I have a few questions regarding the cleaning of no clean fluxes.  First
I know this is not recommended but I have a number of power supply
assemblies (120/240V in, 3.3V out) that were poorly cleaned.

1.      Are the Sn and Pb salts left on the board conductive on their
own in a low humidity (less than 50%) environment?
2.      What level of Cl, Br, SO, NO, Weak Organic Acid contaminants if
detected using Ion Chromatography would be low risk?
3.      What are some tests, that can quantify risk, that can be made on
actual assemblies?
4.      What tests are best to screen any potential infant mortality
failures?
5.      What are the best ways to clean the No clean flux residues from
the assemblies?

TIA,
Steven Hoffner