TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:47:57 -0800
Those are gorgeous!!
The only time that I remember battling dendrites like that was on a high
voltage divider resistor. The problem occured only in the areas where the
volts/m where high. Sorry, but I dont remember the numbers anymore. So I am
curious about the field strength across this area. I ended up covering the
resistor with thick layer of a low dielectric constant material that adhered
very well to the surface of the resistor (plasma cleaning before applying!).

The electric field is going to concentrate itself in the material with the
lowest dielectric constant. So if that is represented by small crosssection,
you will find a very high field strength in that location and therefore a
strong tendency to grow dendrites there. That is also why I expect that by
far most of your samples have dendrites growing starting in the narrow spots
in the middle of the part (capacitor?, high voltage?, short distance?).

Any more details available?

Ahne.