Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 08:51:40
During field trials of our existing coating (High Solids Xersin) on high
powered PCA applications, we found that due to a component failure, that the
PCA suffered badly from fire damage (an area about 75mm sq was severely burnt -
even the copper tracks were melted).

Upon testing (using a coated resistor - to specified thickness & making it
fail) we found that generally the solvent based coatings showed a noticeable
increase in the flame produce, when subject to high temperatures (eg components
failure - over 500oC).  Additionally, the organic based coatings also produced
an unacceptable amount of carbon and it was these two factors which we believe
damaged our PCA (the carbon increased the area shorting from being localised).

Could anyone suggest a Conformal Coating that may be acceptable to high powered
PCA applications, suitable for application by a select coat system?  We believe
that Silicon based coatings may be the best choice, but samples are slow in
coming to Australia for trial and all the coating spec's mention that they pass
flammability tests.

Thanks,
Paul Moro
Manufacturing Engineer