TECHNET Archives

July 1999

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:31:32 +0100
All polymer based materials have a maximum temperature to which they can be
exposed before they start to breakdown. THis temperatue will vary from
polymer to polymer  and is also subject to being modified by conditions
of exposure and other materials present. For example it will be lower in
oxygen rich environments.This breakdown is cumulative and irreversible.
Think of it as invisible
charring to understand its effects. The adhesive properties of charcoal are
not usually regarded as outstanding.

As a general rule you would not expect "Acrylate" adhesives to have good
high temperatue withstand, high in this context would certainly include the
temperatures expected during pcb assembly processes,and acrylates are
generally not as good as epoxies which usually have a max continuous rating
in the 150C - 200C  max range.
However the problem with adhesives and general rules is that there is a huge
number of
proprietary formulations and the candidate materials that the suppliers can
use as bases for their blends is also large, notwithstanding the
combinations in their final blends.

So the first thing to do is read the data
sheet on your particular one as if you were a lawyer. See just what is
specifically stated on performance and not what the words leave you to
expect. Match the minimum specifications expected in this way with what you
actually anticipate the most severe in-service environment (including heat,
moisture, mechanical stress, chemical exposure etc) will be to form an
opinion as to suitability. Do the same for your processing  options and
limitations imposed by substrates to be joined. Then from the range of
candidate products you can narrow down your choice based on ease of use,
availability and so on. You may or may not end up with an acrylic based
material.

Mike Fenner
BSP, OX15 4JQ, England
T:+44 1295 722 992