From:
"HOHALLOR" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 96 14:44:54 CST
P.G. Wilson:

The condition you describe sounds like "devitrification" of the
quartz which is caused by the quartz coming in contact with a
halogen (i.e., Chloride, fluoride, or bromide ions) while at
elevated temperatures.  The quartz hazes over and loses much of
its transparency.  This white haze is a structural change in the
quartz which also weakens the quartz and it could shatter.  There
is sufficient chloride (from perspiration) on a persons hand that
if they handle a quartz object and do not clean it properly
before it reaches an elevated temperature devitrification occurs.
Quartz objects that are to be handled should never be touched
with bare hands.  Vapors from halogen acids (i.e., HCl,etc.)
should not be allowed to come in contact with quartz either.
I know of no way to reverse this reaction.  Again I am not positive
that this is your problem but it is a good possibility.  If you
require addition information you can contact me directly.

Harry O'Halloran

              \\'''''//
               (o   o)
|           Harry O'Halloran        |