TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 97 13:12:01 cst
     Hi TechNet -

     Try dropping an email to Doug Pauls at Contamination Studies Labs
     ([log in to unmask]) - he maybe able to help you.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins

Subject: Assy: white residues
Author:  [log in to unmask] at ccmgw1
Date:    6/5/97 11:13 AM

Hello,

We have some white residues in some through hole male connectors after the
wave soldering operation. They're located "on the floor" of the connectors,
around the pins. These residues have a granular form, somewhat like salt. It
could be OA flux residues but I'm not sure.

I tried to send the boards through the wave machine without using the solder
bath to get the fluxing and heating action and it doesn't work. Pressure
water cleaning alone doesn't work either. The residues can be mechanically
removed but it is quite time consuming and not practical.

Any idea on how to prevent/remove it ?

Thank you.